Thursday, June 16, 2011

MY LIFE AT THE THEATER, CHARLEY'S AUNT

Couldn't find a decent clip of any version of this one. It's a farce as you might guess.

I can date this play precisely. We saw it on Christmas Eve, 1994 at the Royal Exchange Theater in Manchester, England. Our kids were there to celebrate Christmas with us. After the play, our car wouldn't start but the UK version of AAA was out in no time to help us.

The absolute standout performance was from Michael Sheen (now playing major parts in movies) as Charley's Aunt (or Lord Fancourt Babberley).

Regional theater in England was terrific and we also saw Sheen in LOOK BACK IN ANGER that year. Can't imagine two more different parts.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Never saw it.

The Brits have the AA and the RAC.

Sheen has played a lot of Americans lately, including the incredibly obnoxious Mr. Pedantic in the new Woody Allen movie. He does have quite a range.

Jeff M.

David Cranmer said...

All new to me, Patti.

Jerry House said...

Thirty years earlier I was treading the high school stage in that play.


Word verification (honest): noseat
- standing room only?

Chuck said...

In the early 60's, I painted and construted some scenery for this play at the Mendlesshon Theater in Ann Arbor. I did this to meet co-eds. However, I saw performances for several nights in a row and althought I know it is from the 1890's, I found it difficult to follow with many very contrived coincidences.

Paul D Brazill said...

Smashing play. Sheen was beaut as former Hartlepool manager Brian Clough in The Damned United.

Ron Scheer said...

Didn't know Sheen was a stage actor. I bet he's good. He was great in THE DAMNED UNITED, THE QUEEN, and FROST/NIXON

Jack said...

We have a Friday's Forgotten book up. 'The Dolly Dolly Spy'.