Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Forgotten Movies: Jump Tomorrow




George (Tunde Adelbimpe), a proper Nigerian gentleman, arrives at the Buffalo airport to meet the women his family has arranged for him to marry. He's late, she's gone on to Niagara Falls, so he has two days, traveling slowly and reluctantly, to get to the wedding. At the airport, he meets Alicia (Natalia Verbeke), a lively Latin, going with her boyfriend to see her family. George is smitten. Partly by happenstance, and partly by the designs of Gerard, a romantic and manic Frenchman George meets at the airport, his path crosses Alicia's a few times. As Gerard puts it, George should seize the chance to see what happens with Alicia - he can always jump tomorrow. Can George take on fate and custom?(This synopsis mostly comes from IMDB) What I remember most about this film was how original, unexpected and delightful it was. Not the exact mechanics of the plot-ten years ago now. The lead is just riveting because he plays his part so deadpan.
I will probably only persuade Charlie Stella to see this, but you won't regret it if you do.
(Directed by Joel Hopkins).

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Patti, this is exactly the kind of small, independent movie Jackie is always looking for. I must admit it has escaped my notice before.

Jeff M.

pattinase (abbott) said...

You will both love it. It had a very limited run here and probably there too. Now that I had to quit Netflix I will probably miss more of these although I saw this at the theater.

Gerard Saylor said...

I will probably only persuade Charlie Stella to see this

Oh, they show the Bills?

Erik Donald France said...

I will see this -- thanks for the suggestion ~~!

George said...

Stuff like this happens at the Buffalo Airport all the time.

pattinase (abbott) said...

But never in Detroit.

George said...

Loved Megan's article on GILDA in the latest MYSTERY SCENE!

pattinase (abbott) said...

Oh, George. Save it for me to read when I see you. I don't get it and can't find it here.

George said...

Will do, Patti.