Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Forgotten Movies ABC Afternoon Playbreak


The ABC Afternoon Playbreak was an American television anthology series that was broadcast on ABC from 1973 to 1975. The ninety-minute dramas aired once a month and featured some of the more popular television and film stars of the 1970s (Diana Hyland, Bradford Dillman, Patty Duke, Diane Baker, David Hedison).

This was a delight for me, home with two toddlers at the time. The one movie I remember vividly from the series, even forty years later, starred Clu Gulager and Kay Lenz in Heart in Hiding.

A blind professor falls in love with a young model. Kay Lenz won an Emmy for her portrayal. I always had a mad crush on Clu and Kay was just delightful. I saw her a few years ago on THE CLOSER. But I have missed Clu's recent outings.

For more forgotten movies, visit Todd Mason.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Patti - Oh, my goodness I haven't thought of that show for decades! Thanks for the reminder.

Todd Mason said...

ABC, in the decades it was consistently third among the national networks ("except when," as David Letterman joked about his then network NBC in the '80s, "PBS has a really good year"), was often the most innovative of the commercial nets. I'd forgotten about this occasional series, too, though of course at the time I was more the target audience for its slightly hardier, and usually much worse, cousin, the ABC AFTERSCHOOL SPECIALS...

pattinase (abbott) said...

Which I well remember my kids watching. Or Megan at least.

Yvette said...

I remember this series. I would watch it occasionally.

Clu Gullager. I remember him too. :)

Anonymous said...

That's funny - Jackie was a big Clu Gulager fan too. She did a review for my mystery fanzine 30 or so years ago of a made for television movie he starred in called CHARLIE COBB: NICE NIGHT FOR A HANGING. (She liked it.)

You haven't seen him lately because he's 82 and not working much these days.

Jeff M.

Unknown said...

Does anyone know where I can purchase “Heart in Hidingv” on DVD OR EVEN VHS?

Thanks,
Elyse

ebaymaven said...

I would love to find this vhs /dvd? Clu is 91 years old now. I had such a crush on him in the 70s-90s

Anonymous said...

My favorite of all the daytime movies, could watch it over and over if only I could find the vhs or dvd. Anyone know how to find to watch?