Wednesday, January 02, 2013

First Wednesday Book Review Club


TRUST YOUR EYES, Linwood Barclay

When Ray Kilbride's father dies, he moves back home to settle the estate and make arrangements for his brother, Thomas. Thomas has not left the house, except for doctor visits, for many years. He spends his days mapping, through a computer system, every street in the world. He believes that this knowledge will save the world after the coming apocalypse. When brother Ray, an illustrator, agrees to follow up on an image that has upset Thomas, the two run afoul of a dangerous circle of people. Ray, with the help of Thomas, must settle both this issue and determine exactly how their father died and what is the secret from Thomas's past that perhaps precipitated his agoraphobia.

TRUST YOUR EYES is a technological hat tip to REAR WINDOW. Very enjoyable.

This is a sure-footed thriller with action that never lets up. Highly recommended for those looking for a speedy, exciting read. Some days that is more than enough.

For more reviews, see Barrie Summy. 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read one of his earlier books and thought it was OK, but this one sounds more interesting to me. I reserved it at the library.


Jeff M.

Barrie said...

Some days that is, indeed, more than enough. :) "A hat tip to Rear Window" sounds very enticing! Happy New Year and thanks for reviewing, Patti. Looking forward to getting together with you IRL. :)

Linda McLaughlin said...

This sounds really good, Patti. I really like the premise. Haven't read a good thriller in a while, so this is going on the TRB pile.

Gerard said...

At Bouchercon in St. Louis I don't know if I met Linwood Barclay, an imposter, or if I was so drunk (open bar) on Dewar's that I completely misunderstood the whole conversation.

Sarah Laurence said...

That does sound like a fun premise for a book. I love how your reviews hook without too many words.

John Weagly said...

Got it for Xmas. Now I'm looking forward to reading it even more.

J F Norris said...

This got a ridiculously over the top rave review from Ali Karim a while back. Made it sound like some kind of masterpiece. But I know they are other books written long, long ago that I have read that blew me away and that TRUST YOUR EYES could never meet my extremely high expectations of "the most surprising thriller in years." I marked it to look for, but like Jeff I have been wary as Barclay doesn't do much for me. Now with a much more grounded Patti Abbot seal of approval I think I may check it out.