Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Forgotten Movies THE SQUID AND THE WHALE




Along with ICE STORM and SHOOT THE MOON, this is one my favorite depictions of an unhappy family. I think they get so many thing right. Especially how a narcissist can fall apart when his supremacy is threatened. Jeff Daniel is able to embrace the character's flaws. Laura Linney is always good. This is an early performance by Jesse E. before his tics became embedded for life. It looks and feels right.Kudos to Noah Bambach.

So many films about dysfunctional families. What is a good one about a happy family?

6 comments:

George said...

CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN.

Jeff Meyerson said...

I agree about SQUID AND THE WHALE (though I don't care much for ICE STORM). It is very Park Slope (not surprisingly). Daniels has played these awful characters before, going back to the immature Flip in TERMS OF ENDEARMENT. I'd forgotten that Eisenberg played the son. The younger brother was the son of Kevin Kline and Phoebe Cates.

Happy family? Hmm. Well, older films of course, but recent ones... I'll think.

Anonymous said...

I've never seen this one, Patti - thanks for the suggestion.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Perhaps A CHRISTMAS STORY. But if you get into stories meant for kids there are a lot of happy families, I think.

Jeff Meyerson said...

Jackie says dysfunctional is more interesting. Also, like THE SQUID AND THE WHALE, many are at least semi-autobiographical.

Charles Gramlich said...

You probably get tired of hearing me say things like, "Don't know this one." :)